Laser Hair Removal
The demand for laser hair removal is at an all-time high. Laser treatments now provide a successful permanent reduction and nearly painless alternative to shaving, waxing and other hair removal methods. We offer the Palomar StarLux 500 IPL machine, a powerful pulsed light system. It provides the most versatile and effective treatments available, with superior cooling to reduce treatment discomfort and minimize damage to the skin.
Why use IPL (Intense pulse light)?
Unlike lasers which use intense focused light, IPL is intense broadband light. IPL delivers energy to both the superficial and deep layers of the skin, sparing the epidermis (outer layers of skin) from damage. There is virtually little to no recovery time post treatment.
How does IPL Hair Removal work?
A beam of light passes through the skin to the hair follicle where it is absorbed as heat. The heat then destroys the hair follicle and alters the hairs ability to reproduce. As body hair grows in different phases (growth cycles) it is necessary to repeat treatments to ensure effectiveness. For most individuals, a minimum of 5-6 treatments is necessary to achieve permanent reduction. Maintenance is sometimes required to target re-growth over the years.
Who is a good candidate for laser hair removal?
Laser treatments work best in lighter skinned, darker haired patients because the primary target in hair follicles is melanin pigment (the "color" of the hair.) The more contrast between the skin and hair, the better the expected outcome. A darker skin tone or tan skin creates interference with the amount of energy that reaches the hair follicle, creating a less effective treatment. Because the pigment in the hair follicle is the target for the laser energy, gray, white, and some red hairs (which lack pigment) cannot be effectively treated with any laser or light-based devices.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
There are many benefits to having unwanted hair removed through the use of laser therapy. They include the following:
- Hair is precisely targeted
- Procedure is quick
- Results are permanent (for 90 percent of patients) or long-lasting
For many patients, laser hair removal is painless, although some experience minor discomfort, usually described as something like a rubber band's snapping against the skin.
Pre Treatment Information
- Avoid any unprotected sun exposure for at least 2 weeks prior to your treatment. This includes tanning beds. Treatments cannot be done on areas with spray tan, sun tan or sun burn.
- The area being treated must to be shaved clean within 24 hrs of your appointment. If you come unprepared (unshaven) for the appointment, a fee of $25 may be charged for clean-up time and supplies.
- When possible avoid wearing makeup, lotions and deodorant directly prior to the treatment.
Post Treatment Information
- Immediately post treatment the area may feel warm similar to a mild sun burn. The skin may appear slightly pink, sometimes temporarily bumpy or itchy.
- You may apply cold packs, ice or cool compresses to soothe the area. We recommend aloe-vera gel or a topical hydrocortisone if needed.
- In between laser sessions you must avoid waxing, tweezing, use of depilatories or bleaching creams to obtain optimal results. You may shave the area as often as needed.
- Continue to stay out of the sun and use a with SPF 30 or higher that protects you from UVA and UVB rays.
- It is important that you stay on the recommended treatment schedule to obtain the best results. After a series of treatments most people can expect 80-90% permanent reduction as well as slowed re-growth. A small percentage of people do not respond well to laser treatments. It is common to do touch-up treatments as needed to target re-growth over time.
Complications of Laser Hair Removal
The most common complication of laser hair removal is the regrowth of the unwanted hair. Frequently, however, the hair that regrows is finer and lighter than the hair that was removed. Usually, regrowth can be addressed with a few additional treatment sessions. Other complications that may arise after laser hair treatment include skin irritation such as blistering and crusting; changes in pigmentation or texture of the skin; and scarring at the removal site.
Prior to receiving any laser treatment we will conduct a consultation to review your medical history and medications to make certain you are a good candidate for laser hair removal. Our goal is to educate you on laser treatment expectations and provide a spa like environment where you feel comfortable receiving your treatments. At your initial visit we can give you an idea of the approximate number of sessions that may be required to achieve desired results. At The Spa at Yarrow Bay only experienced, licensed professionals operate our equipment.
Areas that can be treated
- Full Face
- Full Arm / Half Arm
- Bikini Line / Extended Bikini
- Lip / Chin
- Upper / Lower Back
- Full Leg / Half Leg
- Full Back
- Fingers / Toes
Call us at 425-822-0300 for pricing and current laser specials
- Length of treatments: 5-60 minutes depending on the size of the treatment area.
- Average number or treatments required: 5-6 for light skin tones, 6-8 for medium skin tones.
- Follow up appointments: Anywhere from 2-10 weeks, based on growth cycles of area being treated.