Conveniently located to serve Seattle, Kirkland, Bellevue, and Redmond
In the past getting a tattoo meant having it for life, but not anymore
Do you have a tattoo that you now regret? The Spa at Yarrow Bay offers tattoo removal treatments to make that unwanted tattoo a thing of the past.
Tattoos no longer have to be permanent. Intense, fast-pulse Q-switched lasers can remove or significantly lighten a tattoo by training pulsing light on the tattoo’s ink particles, which convert the energy to heat and break up into tiny pieces that are absorbed harmlessly by the body, without any damage to surrounding tissue. Ideal candidates for laser tattoo removal are typically fair-skinned, and have tattoos that are on areas, such as the arms, legs, buttocks or chest, that have a greater concentration of body fat. Prior to laser, techniques for removing tattoos included dermabrasion, cryosurgery and surgical excision.
Our RevLite tattoo removal laser, features four wavelengths to target a wide range of colors, even difficult-to-treat green and sky blue.
How does laser tattoo removal work?
A few hours before the laser tattoo removal procedure begins, it is recommended that acetaminophen be taken to help minimize discomfort. Just before the procedure begins, the patient is given a shield to protect his or her eyes from the laser. A topical anesthetic is applied to the skin; in some instances, a cooling system is used before, during and after the procedure to help with discomfort. The tattoo removal specialist then tests the skin’s response to the laser to determine the most effective approach, and intense nanosecond pulses are sent from the Q-switched laser to the skin.
Each laser tattoo removal session lasts only a few minutes and, at the end of each session, the tattoo is iced for about 30 minutes. A topical antibiotic and a bandage are then applied. Patients are advised to keep the skin around the tattooed area dry, and to treat it as if it were sunburned.
How many treatments will I need?
Each tattoo is very different so the overall outcome of laser tattoo removal is dependent on a variety of factors including: size of the tattoo, ink colors, skin color, location, age of the tattoo, and quality of the tattoo and ink used.
The colors used to create your tattoo impact how easy or difficult it will be to remove. A tattoo with a variety of colors is usually more difficult to remove than a tattoo made with just one color. Some ink colors are more difficult to remove than others. Black, and dark blue tattoos are usually the easiest while green, red, purple, brown, and light blue colors may require more visits. Yellow, green, light blue, white and florescent inks can be the most difficult to remove. Every tattoo is unique so we will create a personalized treatment plan at your consultation.
What Can I Expect During Laser Tattoo Removal?
During your appointment
- A detailed consultation will be done to explain the procedure, aftercare instructions, and to make sure you are a good candidate for tattoo removal.
- Depending on the location of the tattoo and your pain threshold, you may elect to use some form of topical numbing cream or injections at the site of the tattoo.
- A spot treatment is done to determine the most effective energy for the treatment.
- The treatment itself consists of pulsing the laser over the surface of the skin and activating the laser light. As many patients describe it, each pulse feels like a grease splatter or the snapping of a rubber band against the skin. The treatment itself is extremely quick.
- To remove or lighten the tattoo requires several treatments and multiple visits, typically scheduled 8-10 weeks apart. At each treatment, the tattoo should become progressively lighter.
- Immediately following treatment, an ice pack, ointment and bandage can be applied to soothe the treated area. You will be sent home with detailed post care instructions.
Laser Tattoo Removal Can Treat
- Professional tattoos
- Homemade tattoos
- Cover-up tattoos
- Partial removal
- Lightening or fading of pre-existing tattoo before a cover-up
Results and Risks of Laser Tattoo Removal
Depending on the complexity of the tattoo, removal results vary. Simple tattoos may be eliminated within four treatment sessions, while more complicated tattoos might require ten or more. Although they rarely occur, there are certain side effects associated with laser tattoo removal. They include hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation, infection and permanent scarring.
How much will it cost?
The cost of tattoo removal treatments can far exceed what you paid for the original tattoo. Our goal is to provide payment options to make tattoo removal an affordable treatment. Prices are based on the size of the tattoo and multiple sessions are required to obtain desired results. You can elect to pay per treatment or take advantage of discounted package prices. Payment options will be discussed during your initial no-obligation consultation.